Travel after Brexit

Travelling to the EU or Northern Ireland (NI)  with your pet

A current EU pet passport issued in GB will not be valid for travel to the EU or NI from 1 January 2021.

You will need a new Animal Health Certificate (AHC).

Before your dog, cat or ferret can travel to the EU or NI for the first time after 1 January 2021, you’ll need to take the following steps.

These steps are similar to the current process for taking your pet to the EU, but you’ll need an animal health certificate (AHC) instead of a pet passport.

  1. Your dog, cat or ferret must be  microchipped.
  2. Your dog, cat or ferret must have a up to date vaccination against rabies – your pet must be at least 12 weeks old before it can be vaccinated.(our vaccines are valid for 3 years)
  3. You must wait at least  21 days after your pet’s first rabies vaccination before travel.
  4. Visit us  to get an AHC for your pet, no more than 10 days before travel to the EU.


When issuing the AHC we need proof of:

  • your pet’s microchipping date
  • your pet’s vaccination history

( we may well have all this information on your pets clinical record – but please bring your vaccination card,  microchip implantation date ( and your most recent PETS passport if you have one )

Your pet’s AHC will be valid for:

  • 10 days after the date of issue for entry into the EU or NI
  • onward travel within the EU or NI for 4 months after the date of issue
  • re-entry to GB for 4 months after the date of issue

If you’re travelling with your dog directly travelling to Finland, Republic of Ireland, NI , Norway or Malta

we must administer a  treatment against tapeworm (Echinococcus multilocularis ) 1 to 5 days before your date of travel and we will record this on the AHC.

On arrival in the EU or NI 

you will need to enter through a designated travellers’ point of entry (TPR).

At the TPE, you may need to present your pet’s original AHC along with proof of:

  • your pet’s microchip
  • rabies vaccination
  • tapeworm treatment (if required)


You need a new AHC each time you enter the EU or NI 


Please call us to discuss your travel plans


Full details can be found on the Government website