Our earliest records show a Mr Brunskill MRCVS moved to Bishops Stortford shortly after qualifying in 1878 and lived at 87 Rye Street, now our ‘neighbour’ house.
The building we currently work from was a blacksmith’s forge, and horses were stabled in our courtyard. During the first World War the premises were used by the Army to process transport mules and horses on their way to France, and some of the stable walls show where the hot iron brands with the distinctive war department ‘Crows Foot’ were tested prior to use for marking up all W/D property.
The veterinary work in those days was mainly farm animals and horses, with the odd farm dog and a rare cat. The famous racehorse ‘Golden Miller’ was treated here, and Sir Frederick Hobday FRCVS used to visit here to perform his now universal Hobday procedure for horses with laryngeal paralysis.
In 1985 the practice underwent extensive refurbishment and achieved Hospital status. To this day there are still less than 200 practices with that accolade in the whole of Great Britain and as a practice we strive towards achieving the highest standards of patient and client care that we can. We no longer treat horses or farm animals – instead we specialise in domestic pets but you can still see the stable doors in our yard.